Our 10th Anniversary and farewell to APA Compass celebration!
APA Compass debuted in May 2005 on KBOO Community Radio. The collective featured voices from our diverse communities, including community leaders, artists and our ever-popular, Angry APA Minutes. For this very special, conclusive episode, we had a live reunion in studio with Sarika Mehta, Marie Lo, Toni Tabora-Roberts and by phone, Patti Sakurai. We featured some of our best from the past decade:
- Margaret Cho
- The lack of outreach to APA communities in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina
- Angry APA Minutes by collective members: Jaye Sablan, Afifa Ahmed Shafi and Andrew Yeh
- An audio postcard on language policies by Liz Rogers
- A feature on Deaf Indians fighting for their rights, by Sarika Mehta
- And plenty of nostalgia by our collective!
Powerful insight from APA writers and artists! For this episode, we feature:
- Jeff Chang, author of Who We Be: The Colorization of America
- Vijay Iyer of the Vijay Iyer Trio, on their new album, Break Stuff. Listen to the podcast here.
- Sandip Roy and his debut novel, Don’t Let Him Know. Listen to the podcast here.
- Oregon Ballet Theater dancers: Xuen Chang, Ye Li, and Kohhei Kuwana. Listen to the full interview here.
- An archive from the vault! The 10th anniversary is around the corner and this we’re celebrating with this gem: Jay and Pam talk to shopkeepers on Hawthorne Ave. about their “Asian-themed products”.
It’s an hour of angry Asian Americans! For this episode, we feature:
- Nayomi Munaweera’s debut novel, Island of a Thousand Mirrors. Listen to the full interview here.
- Gearing up for our 10th anniversary celebration, we’re featuring archives from the vault!
- An interview with Phil Yu, the blogger behind Angry Asian Man
- An interview with Leela Lee, the creator of Angry Little Asian Girl
- Liz talks to Jenn Fang of the blog, ReAppropriate, about the potential lawsuit between Leela and Phil, and how this impacts our community
- Another archive from the vault!: An Angry APA Minute by Yellow Rage
Listen to the entire March 2015 program.
It’s a membership drive special! Become a member and tell KBOO how much you love APA Compass! For this episode, we feature:
- The minds behind the brilliant play, Kultar’s Mime. Liz Rogers talks to Mehr Kaur and Sarbpreet Singh about the inspiration for this play.
- A clip from Sarika Mehta’s interview with actor, comedian and writer, Aasif Mandvi. He’s the author of the memoir No Land’s Man. You can hear the full interview here.
- A throwback! As we gear up for the 10th Anniversary of APA Compass, we’re featuring archives from the vault: our first-ever PopWatch segment from November of 2010.
- An Angry APA Minute from our own Dmae Roberts. This piece, “Common Cause”, was originally featured in the local news paper, The Asian Reporter.
Happy New Year from all of us at APA Compass! To celebrate 2015, we’re kicking off the new year with a full hour of our most popular segment, the Angry APA Minute! We feature:
- #BlackLivesMatter and APA solidarity: Alice Wong, Taz Ahmed, Deepa Iyer, and Eric Liu
- We have throwback Angry APA Minutes by our own collective members: Jaye Sablan, Andrew Yeh and Sarika Mehta
- And from the archive, our community responds to newsworthy events: Hasan Minhaj, Hari Kondabolu and Surinder and Rupinder Singh
- We also have film-maker Vidyut Latay talking about her documentary, Beyond Silence, celebrating the Mumbai Deaf Community.